Green Garlic Soup
By Paleo Plan
Yield 4 servings
Soup is classic comfort food, which is why it’s served when the weather is chilly or if you’re sick. While chicken soup probably the most well known variety, this green garlic soup made with leafy greens and garlic is perfect when you want something flavorful, nutritious, and comforting. It’s seriously loaded with garlic (more than in most recipes) and thickened with eggs. The end result is a velvety smooth Paleo soup that you’ll make again and again.
- 6 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 medium leek(s) sliced
- 10 medium garlic clove(s) minced
- 1 teaspoon(s) thyme, fresh
- 3 cup(s) greens, mixed such as kale, chard, or spinach
- 4 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1 large egg(s)
- 2 large egg yolk(s)
- 2 tablespoon(s) capers
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) sea salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) black pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks, and cook until soft. Stir in the garlic and thyme, cook for a minute and add the greens. Stir to coat, and then add the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes and turn off heat.
- Add the egg and egg yolk to a bowl and whisk until foamy and pale in color. Drizzle the olive oil in and whisk until combined.
- Reserve about 1/4 cup garlic broth from the pot and very slowly drizzle it into the egg mixture. When it is well combined, add it into the broth and whisk until the soup thickens.
- Add the capers before serving.